Monday 31 January 2011

The Weight by Hal Sirowitz

I’m being crushed
by the weight of

this relationship,
she said. I have to

carry it all by myself
from one date

to the next. Not that
it weighs a lot - about

the same as our hearts –
but it’s the responsibility

I bear of not letting it fall,
and shatter in a million pieces

which is frightening. It’s not
like a puzzle that can be put back

together. It’s more like a poodle
who’s going to run away

in search of less contentious owners.





Hal Sirowitz, PA, USA

2 comments:

Beatrice V said...

I just love it, that tension between gravitas and levity! It keeps the mind gracefully jumping unexpectedly from melancholy to funny, from the solemn to the ridiculous. Wonderful.

K said...

It's wonderful to see someone else posting lovely poems. I enjoy the rhythm very much. I, myself post poems as well, though they are my own. Check it out and follow if you enjoy :)

Thanks for the read!