Monday 5 April 2010

The City by Emily Smith

The city reeks of loneliness and regret
(OK, I’m lying about that – it stinks
of cigarette smoke and stale urine,
but it lingers just the same).

Trains pass on the line and the fish-
eyed man stares at me through glass
and I can’t figure out if it’s me or him
who is living in the goldfish bowl.

The paint is peeling on the walls
that face the train line, and the city
tastes like sorrow. Nothing lasts.

I am counting minutes between trains
and counting months between lovers.
Trains pass on the line and it is quiet,
there are words but no-one listens.

The city tastes of loneliness and regret
and stale cigarette smoke that fills
this goldfish bowl and maybe I should
stop, and maybe I should listen.


Emily Smith, East Anglia, UK

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

Emily Smith is a second-year English Literature student at the University of East Anglia. She runs and edits Sparkbright, a free, online magazine.

Karen said...

This is wonderfully visual, and I can see it perfectly.