Monday 17 August 2009

And So I Forgot Water, Too, Has Breath by Michael H Brownstein

And so I forgot water, too, has breath
and purple weeds can lift their eyes from the mud first light.
I have forgotten, too, their pattern of speech,
their bright fingers tearing the sky apart.
There is much to forget and much to remember.
and in time I will forget this also: the great Missouri
breaking the boundary, its belly pregnant,
its strength a pulse, a spread of hands--
rising, rising, rising--its fingers stretching from fist
into mud and design, debris and satisfaction.




Michael H Brownstein, Chicago, USA

3 comments:

poefusion said...

Your poem is great, Michael. You've included strong visuals for one who may not have seen the great Missouri. Have a wonderful night.

Karen said...

This is one of the most intriguing poems I've read in quite a while. Aside from the message, I love the mood.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.