Wednesday 25 July 2007

Relics by Cortney Bledsoe

I have no memory of your voice. I can't rewind
and play it back like some tape recording in the spinning cogs

of my thoughts. I have no records, no paint
splattered on the walls of the cave

hollowed between our lives.

That cry I uttered when I was pulled from you,
splayed before the world is also, I assume, forgotten.

So we are even.

The echoes have been long going,
but are now terminally forgotten, and I can mourn

the colors of all the days we missed by keeping eyes
solely on each other's throats, but they've passed.

Mother, outside, today, there was a purple fire
like Mars riding down to trample us all. The world burned,

and was renewed in light.
I just wanted to tell you.



Cortney Bledsoe, USA. Editor of Ghoti Magazine

1 comment:

WH said...

I love the imagery of "no memories" at the beginning. Also, the following is brilliant:

"Mother, outside, today, there was a purple fire
like Mars riding down to trample us all. The world burned,and was renewed in light. I just wanted to tell you."

This poem sings.