Monday 12 July 2010

Story Book by J.S. Watts

I was trying to read a book
When you came along and insisted
That I read you instead.
You were forceful in your persuasions;
Insinuating yourself between me
And the page, like a fur clad bookmark.
Tail in my face and the buzz of your voice
Creeping through my head
As you crept across my pages,
Ruffling thoughts and paper alike
To the point of distraction.
How could I ignore you ?
Such a perfect edition and so responsive
Beneath my fingers. You are better
Than a story in braille.
Through you I can read of summer fields,
The smelled taste of daisies and buttercups,
Nose high grass and the heat of the sun
On day-warmed fur; the drowsiness
Of a warm room and a comfortable lap.
There is nothing better than
Curling up on a good book.




J S Watts, East Anglia, UK

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

J.S.Watts was born in London, read English at Somerville College, Oxford and now lives and writes in the flatlands of East Anglia. Her poetry, short fiction and reviews have been published in a variety of magazines and publications in Britain , Canada and the States including: Acumen, Ascent Aspirations, Brittle Star, Dark Horizons, The Dawntreader, Envoi, The Journal ,Orbis, Serendipity, Twisted Tongue, The Ugly Tree and Visionary Tongue. Her short story “Jenny” won third prize in the 2009 Wells Literary Festival International Short Story Competition and was recently broadcast by the BBC.

Tumblewords: said...

A delightful poem - the imagery stretches with feline languor.